If you are planning to visit Sicily, the largest and most diverse island in the Mediterranean, you might want to consider flying to Vincenzo Florio Civil Airport of Trapani – Birgi. This airport, also known as Trapani Airport Sicily or Birgi Airport, is located in the western part of Sicily, about 15 km from Trapani and 70 km from Palermo. It is a strategic gateway to the region, as it connects travellers to many popular destinations, such as the Egadi Islands, the Zingaro Nature Reserve, the Valley of the Temples, and the historic towns of Erice, Marsala, and Segesta.
Trapani Airport Sicily is a small but modern and efficient airport that offers a range of services and facilities to make your travel experience smooth and comfortable. Whether you are arriving or departing, you will find everything you need at this airport, from transportation options to amenities and insider tips. In this blog post, we will explore the various aspects of the Trapani Airport experience and provide you with useful information for your trip.
The Trapani Airport Sicily Location and Accessibility
Trapani Airport Sicily is strategically located, allowing you to reach many of Sicily’s attractions easily. The airport is close to the A29 motorway that connects Trapani to Palermo and other major cities in Sicily. You can also access the airport from the SS115 state road that runs along the coast from Trapani to Agrigento.
If you prefer public transportation, you have several options to get to and from the airport. Some buses and shuttles connect the airport to destinations such as Trapani, Palermo, Marsala, Agrigento, Sciacca, and Porto Empedocle. You can also take a train from Trapani or Palermo to Birgi station, which is about 2 km from the airport. Alternatively, you can take a taxi or rent a car at the airport for more flexibility and convenience.
Arrival and Departure Trapani Airport Sicily
Arrival Procedures Trapani Airport Sicily
When you arrive at Trapani Airport Sicily, you will go through the following steps:
- If you are arriving from a non-Schengen country, you will have to pass through immigration and show your passport and visa (if required).
- You will then proceed to the baggage claim area to collect your luggage. There are two baggage carousels at the airport, one for domestic flights and one for international flights.
- If you have anything to declare or need to pay any taxes or fees, you will have to go through customs. Otherwise, you can exit through the green channel.
- You will then enter the arrivals hall, where you can find information desks, car rental agencies, bus and shuttle tickets, ATMs, and a café.
Departure Procedures Trapani Airport Sicily
When you depart from Trapani Airport Sicily, you will follow these steps:
- You must check-in for your flight online or at the airport. There are 16 check-in desks at the airport where you can drop off your luggage and get your boarding pass. You should arrive at least two hours before your flight departure time.
- You will then go through security, where you will have to show your boarding pass and ID and pass through metal detectors and x-ray machines. You should follow the rules regarding liquids, gels, aerosols, and sharp objects in your hand luggage.
- You will then enter the departure hall, where you can find a VIP lounge, a duty-free shop, a newsstand, a café, and a smoking area.
- You will then board your flight from one of the six gates at the airport.
Trapani Airport Sicily Transportation and Connectivity
Trapani Airport Shuttle Services
One of the easiest and most convenient ways to get to and from Trapani Airport Sicily is by using shuttle services. Several companies offer shuttle services connecting the airport to various destinations such as Trapani, Palermo, Marsala, Agrigento, Sciacca, Porto Empedocle, Realmonte, Ribera, Paceco, Siculiana and more.
Some of the shuttle services that operate at Trapani Airport are:
- Autoservizi Salemi: This company offers shuttle services between Trapani Airport and Palermo City Center or Palermo Airport. The journey takes about 90 minutes and costs 12 euros per person. You can buy tickets online or at the airport.
- Azienda Siciliana Transport: This company offers shuttle services between Trapani Airport and Trapani city center or port. The journey takes about 30 minutes and costs 4.50 euros per person. You can buy tickets online or at the airport.
- Terravision: This company offers shuttle services between Trapani Airport and Trapani city center or port. The journey takes about 30 minutes and costs 5 euros per person. You can buy tickets online or at the airport.
- Autoservizi Lumia: This company offers shuttle services between Trapani Airport, Agrigento city center, or Valley of the Temples. The journey takes about 2 hours and costs 15 euros per person. You can buy tickets online or at the airport.
Public Transportation Options
If you prefer public transportation, you have several options to get to and from Trapani Airport Sicily. Buses, trains, or other public transportation modes operate from the airport.
Some of the public transportation options that are available at Trapani Airport are:
- Bus: Local buses connect the airport to Birgi station, where you can take a train to Trapani or Palermo. The bus fare is 1.40 euros per person, and the journey takes about 10 minutes. You can buy tickets onboard or at the airport.
- Train: Some trains connect Birgi station to Trapani or Palermo. The train fare is 2.50 euros per person to Trapani and 9.30 euros per person to Palermo. The journey takes about 20 minutes to Trapani and 90 minutes to Palermo. You can buy tickets at the station or online.
- Other: Other public transportation modes operate from the airport, such as ferries, hydrofoils, or taxis. You can find more information on routes, schedules, and destinations at the airport information desks or online.
Car Rental Services
You can rent a car at Trapani Airport if you want more flexibility and convenience. Several car rental agencies operate at the airport, including Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Maggiore, Sicily by Car, and Sixt.
You can find their desks in the arrivals hall or book your car online in advance. You will need a valid driver’s license, a credit card, and an insurance policy to rent a car. The prices vary depending on the type of car, the duration of the rental, and the season.
Renting a car at Trapani Airport Sicily will allow you to explore Sicily at your own pace and discover its many attractions.
Smoking Area Trapani Airport Sicily
There is no designated smoking area inside Trapani Airport Sicily. Smoking is only permitted outside the terminals before or after security checks. Trapani Airport is a small airport that only has direct flights from Italy and Malta, so you may want to plan your smoking breaks accordingly. I hope this information helps you.
Trapani Airport Sleeping Pod
If you are looking for a place to rest or take a nap at Trapani Airport, you might want to consider using a sleeping pod. A sleeping pod is a capsule-shaped bed that offers travellers a comfortable and restful environment.
Unfortunately, there are no sleeping pods available at Trapani Airport Sicily at the moment. However, some nearby hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport. More information on these hotels is in our Airport Hotels section below.
Amenities at Trapani Airport: Lounges, Wi-Fi, Food, Shopping
Trapani Airport Sicily offers other amenities to make your travel experience more enjoyable and convenient. Some of these amenities are:
- Lounges: There is a VIP lounge located in the departure hall, on the first floor. It is open from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM and offers comfortable seating, Wi-Fi, TV, newspapers, magazines, snacks, drinks, and more. You can access the lounge with a Priority Pass membership or by paying a fee of 20 euros per person.
- Wi-Fi: There is free Wi-Fi available at Trapani Airport for up to 90 minutes. You can connect to the “AIRPORT FREE WIFI” network and register with your email address or social media account.
- Food: Trapani Airport has two eateries where you can grab a bite or a drink. A café in the arrivals hall offers coffee, pastries, sandwiches, salads, and more. A café in the departure hall also offers pizza, pasta, burgers, salads, drinks, and more.
- Shopping: There is a duty-free shop in the departure hall where you can buy perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, tobacco, chocolates, souvenirs, and more. There is also a newsstand in the departure hall where you can buy newspapers, magazines, books, snacks, drinks, and more.
Insider Tips for a Smooth Visit to Trapani Airport
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Trapani Airport depends on your travel plans and preferences. If you want to enjoy the best weather and avoid the crowds, you might want to visit Trapani Airport Sicily between April and June or between September and October. These are the spring and autumn seasons in Sicily when the temperatures are mild, the skies are clear, and the flowers are blooming. You will also find lower prices and fewer tourists during these months.
If you want to experience the peak of summer and enjoy the beaches and festivals, you might want to visit Trapani Airport between July and August. These are the hottest and busiest months in Sicily when temperatures reach 40°C and the sun shines for more than 10 hours a day. You will also find higher prices and more crowds during these months.
If you want to experience the winter and enjoy the snow and skiing, you might want to visit Trapani Airport Sicily between November and March. These are the coldest and wettest months in Sicily when temperatures drop below 10°C, and the rain can be frequent. You will also find lower prices and fewer tourists during these months.
Also Read: How to Plan a Dreamy Honeymoon in Sicily
The packing tips for visiting Trapani Airport depend on the season and your travel plans. However, some general packing tips are:
- Pack light and layer up: Sicily has a varied climate and terrain, so you might encounter different weather conditions and activities during your trip. Packing light and layer up is advisable so you can adjust your clothing according to the temperature and occasion. You can also save space and money by avoiding excess baggage fees.
- Pack sunscreen and sunglasses: Sicily is known for its sunny weather and bright colours, so you will need to protect your skin and eyes from the sun. You should pack sunscreen with a high SPF factor and sunglasses with UV protection. You should also pack a hat or a scarf to cover your head.
- Pack comfortable shoes: Sicily is a place where you will walk a lot, whether it is exploring the historic towns, hiking the nature reserves, or strolling along the beaches. You should pack comfortable shoes that are suitable for different terrains and activities. You should also pack sandals or flip-flops for the beach or pool.
- Pack a swimsuit: Sicily is surrounded by the sea, so you will have plenty of opportunities to swim, snorkel, or sail. You should pack a swimsuit that fits well and makes you feel comfortable. You should also pack a towel, a beach bag, and a waterproof camera.
Vincenzo Florio Civil Airport of Trapani-Birgi (Trapani Airport Sicily) is a great airport to fly to if you want to discover Sicily’s beauty and diversity. It is strategically positioned to connect you to many of Sicily’s attractions. It offers a range of services and facilities that make your travel experience smooth and comfortable. It also provides you with useful information and insider tips that help you plan your trip.
If you are looking for a seamless journey to Sicily, you should consider flying to Trapani Airport Sicily. You will not regret it!